WDNY Local News, Thursday, February 22, 2018
Written by Jerry Lademan on February 22, 2018
Thursday, February 22, 2018
Officials say a plug-in air freshener caused a fire that heavily damaged an apartment building in Lima. The fire called in late Tuesday in a 2 story building on East Main Street, near Lake Avenue. No one was hurt but 13 people were left homeless. Five of the Six apartments inside were occupiedall suffered either fire or water damage and are uninhabitable. All of those displaced have found new places to stay. Firefighters say even though there were no human injuries, four cats and three guinea pigs died in the fire. Fire investigators say some bedding was apparently pushed against the device which caused it to overheatand so the fire has been ruled accidental.
Livingston County Sheriff’s deputies have arrested a woman from Hunt after she reports that she was passed out behind the wheel in a parking lot Police say 35-year-old Grace Hicks was arrested after she was later seen inside the 7-11 in Nunda where deputies say she had driven while under the influence. She was charged with D W A Iand drug and paraphernalia possession. Hicks was arraigned and released on her own recognizance.
The Livingston County Sheriffs Department says a missing teenager has been found and is OK. 15-year-old Evan Sinsebox had been missing since Tuesday from the Village of Dansville. After he was located he was checked out at Noyes Hospital in Dansville Officials aren’t saying where he may have been.
Tops Markets is filing for bankruptcy. The company announced that they’re filing chapter eleven to restructure their finances and get rid of a substantial amount of debt. The supermarket chain k has more than 170 stores and employs more than 14-thousand people. For now, all Tops Market locations remain open and will operate normally.
Just over ten months from Christmas, but the Dansville Village Board is already thinking about lighting up the village for the holiday. Light show promoter Kurt Lohman is asking for the village board to support his efforts to light up the village with 50 to 60 thousand LED bulbs in time with Christmas music. He says the project would cost around $3,800 and that he’d like to get started working on it in the next couple months. Mayor Pete Voght says he wants the entire board to talk about the idea before moving forward. Meanwhile, Lohman says he’s interested in hearing from individuals or groups that might want to kick in to help his plan.
Veterans in Western York are getting closer to having a cemetery just for them. Senator Chuck Schumer says that all the land has been acquired by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs for the proposed Veterans Cemetery in Pembroke, Genesee County. Schumer is requesting that the Department of Veterans Affairs adhere to a quick construction schedule. The project was proposed almost a decade ago